Made in the final year of my Costume degree. A bustle loosely based on an 1870's design that I re-interpreted to fit an 1885 silhouette. The military style rouleau work on the front panel was inspired by an 1885 jacket, and took a fairly long time to both make and turn the self-fabric rouleau and apply the design. The entire dress, including the buttons which I had made by a local button supplier, is made from the same red silk. The two-toned effect is from using the reverse side of the fabric for alternating panels. I also made the matching hat of black felt with red silk velvet and black dupioni silk accents and hand beaded hat band.